Thursday, February 01, 2007

loving him

loving him
looping with him
laughing at the same bad english comedy year after year
waking early to his tea pot
holding hands
loving him
looking longingly at shoes in too expensive stores
saying yes to his whims for travel and toys
celebrating client stories
holding energy when things are going wrong
loving him
waking to his insistence on the best of nights
closing the door in foreplay, knowing whenever there is request
there is fulfullment
for both of us
exhausted heavy breath of awe and wonder
who knew fidelity could be that good this long
loving him
watching as he irons their school uniforms
as he plans great events with them
as he takes them, their concerns and possibilities
under careful consideration
lovingly
the best father i have ever seen
loving him
as he dresses to the nines
at his request buttoning with cufflinks
helping choose his ties
his matching pocket scarf
his frames
every detail stunningly executed
all this for looking good
all this for me
loving me
he
loving me
me
loving me
he
loving me
this is the gift of my good marriage
my forever partnership with this good man
and i am so profoundly grateful for god's good plan
that we tripped over
at that london discoteque
all those years ago
he, standing beautiful
eyes locked with mine
calling me over with a beckoning gesture
i ignored
me
on the dance floor with my students
too beautiful to go home
closing eyes in memory
of "we are family"
and the summer,
flanked with precious friends and sisters
having wished aloud for a beautiful man
who would not talk
would not lay a line on me
remembering how beautiful i always felt
flanked by sisters, dancing
and as the song played
opening my eyes
to see him there
dancing with me
in happy silence
grooving
with eyes locked
for hours
dancing
without saying a word
for hours
for hours
looking
peering into what was already ours
determined at birth
god, hiding us each from the other
in opposite ends of the earth
meeting here for this first and last time
this beginning that had already begun
so many lifetimes before
this moment where before ended
and life began
together
since that moment
since that moment
being led by the hand
to a table in the back
having him arrive from the bar
with expensive water
and before uttering a single word
taking out his pen
and little bits of paper
to start a conversation
about where we might
meet
where we might
live
where we might
consumate
our
marriage
of spirit
of heart
of mind
of body
of love
begin it
again
forever
like we do each day
like we keep doing every day
loving him
loving me
loving us
loving him
loving me
loving us
loving him
loving me
loving us
loving them
now they grow
loving them
we are family.

No comments: